07 January 2008

Why single-payer is coming

My friend Bob Pfohman, a Vietnam vet and all around brilliant guy, now and then says that someone has "shit in their own mess kit."

Meaning they'd fouled their own livelihood, their own good deal, or even their own survival. Kinda gross imagery, but vivid...

As in the health insurance industry becoming so grasping and greedy that they've now got a majority of Americans seeing clearly that health insurers have more in common with the Mafia than any kind of institution we'd want to subsidize.

Utah is the most Republican state in the union. It's not really the place to go to for liberal commentary. But here's the Utah Statesman's film reviewer going over the top 10 movies of 2007:
9. "Sicko": No, I didn't pick this documentary by Michael Moore to be on my top 10 list because I'm some "bleeding heart liberal." As a matter of fact, I detest politics and politicians (on both sides of the aisle) more every day. So, if you're like me and want to see what politicians have done to our healthcare system, this is the movie for you. Moore is a master of editing and making people feel what he wants them to feel, I know that. But you can't argue with the fact that the way our healthcare system is set up is ridiculous. Maybe, just maybe, socialized medicine would work here. That's right, I said it. Now I'm going to run and hide so I don't get stoned.
That from a writer so immersed in right-wing culture that he calls guaranteed healthcare "socialized medicine."

Does he also call the police and fire departments socialized protection, I wonder?

No comments: